Joseph Johnson

Joseph Johnson

We are searching data for your request:

Forums and discussions:
Manuals and reference books:
Data from registers:
Wait the end of the search in all databases.
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.

Joseph Johnson was born in Manchester in 1791. Although he became a fairly successful brush manufacturer he also developed radical political ideas.

A strong supporter of universal suffrage and annual parliaments, Johnson joined the Manchester Hampden Club formed by John Knight. In 1818 Johnson helped John Knight, James Wroe and John Saxton to start the radical newspaper, the Manchester Observer. Within twelve months the Manchester Observer was selling 4,000 copies a week. Although it started as a local paper, by 1819 it was sold in most of the large towns and cities in Britain. Henry Hunt called the Manchester Observer "the only newspaper in England that I know, fairly and honestly devoted to such reform as would give the people their whole rights."

In March 1819 Joseph Johnson, John Knight and James Wroe formed the Patriotic Union Society. Johnson was appointed secretary of the organisation and Wroe became treasurer. The main objective of the Patriotic Union Society was to obtain parliamentary reform and during the summer of 1819 it decided to invite Major Cartwright, Henry Orator Hunt and Richard Carlile to speak at a public meeting in Manchester. The men were told that this was to be "a meeting of the county of Lancashire, than of Manchester alone. I think by good management the largest assembly may be procured that was ever seen in this country." Cartwright was unable to attend but Hunt and Carlile agreed and the meeting was arranged to take place at St. Peter's Field on 16th August.

Joseph Johnson was on the platform during the meeting and was named by William Hulton as one of the four men to be arrested. Johnson and the other men were charged with "assembling with unlawful banners at an unlawful meeting for the purpose of inciting discontent". Henry Orator Hunt was found guilty and received two years and six months, whereas Joseph Johnson, Samuel Bamford, John Knight and Joseph Healey were each sentenced to one year in Lincoln Prison.

While Johnson was in prison his young wife became ill and died. The governor of Lincoln Prison refused permission for Johnson to attend the funeral. Imprisonment and the death of his wife broke Johnson's spirit and he ceased to play an active part in politics after he was released from prison in March 1821.

Joseph Johnson died in 1872.

Trade here is not worth following. Everything is almost at a standstill, nothing but ruin and starvation stare one in the face. The state of the district is truly dreadful. I believe nothing but the greatest exertion can prevent insurrection.

The people in the crowd were so compact and stood to firm that they could not reach the hustings without halting. Few, if any of the meeting, even yet, supposed that this martial display was intended for anything more than securing Hunt, Johnson, Knight and Moorhouse, for whom they had warrants. Mr. Hunt was called upon to deliver himself up, which he offered to do to a Magistrate, but not to the Manchester Yeomanry Cavalry. A gentleman in the commission presented himself, and Mr. Hunt acknowledge his authority, and departed for the rendezvous of the Magistrates; where Mr. Johnson and Mr. Saxton were taken, and from thence conducted, along with Mr. Hunt to the New Bayley prison; Mr. Knight escaped, but was afterwards arrested at his own house and Mr. Moorhouse was soon after taken into custody at the Flying Horse Inn.

Jo Johnson

Joseph Edmund Johnson, Baron Johnson of Marylebone (born 23 December 1971) is a British politician who was Minister of State for Universities, Science, Research and Innovation from July to September 2019, as well as previously from 2015 to 2018. A member of the Conservative Party, he was Member of Parliament (MP) for Orpington from 2010 to 2019. His older brother, Boris Johnson, has been Prime Minister of the United Kingdom since 2019.

    (brother) (sister) (half-sister) (sister-in-law) (father-in-law) (grandfather) (uncle) (great grandfather) (great grandfather) (great grandmother)

Since retiring from politics, Johnson has become non-executive chairman at Tes. He is also a senior fellow at the Harvard Kennedy School, and President's Professorial Fellow at King's College London. He has since returned to his work as a journalist at outlets including the Financial Times. [1]

Johnson was appointed Director of the Number 10 Policy Unit in 2013 by Prime Minister David Cameron. He became Minister of State for the Cabinet Office in 2014 and Universities Minister in 2015. Following the January 2018 cabinet reshuffle, Johnson served as Minister of State for Transport and Minister for London he resigned in November the same year, citing the failure of the Brexit negotiations to achieve what had been promised by the Vote Leave campaign and his wish to campaign for a referendum on the Brexit withdrawal agreement. In July 2019, he became part of his brother's Cabinet, again as Minister of State for Universities. Johnson and his brother became the third set of brothers to have served simultaneously in Cabinet – following Edwin and Oliver Stanley in 1938, and David and Ed Miliband in 2007 – with Johnson being the first to serve as the brother of an incumbent prime minister. In September 2019, he resigned from the Cabinet and announced that he would stand down as an MP at the next United Kingdom general election. [2]

Joseph Johnson

As the chairman of Sunday Morning Band (SMB), Lodge #363 for the past 15 years, Joseph Johnson oversees the preservation of a mutual aid society with an unsurpassed legacy in Florida. SMB started in 1868 in Columbia County’s Bethel Church, and grew into a statewide mutual aid society that assisted members and ensured decent, respectful burials. Johnson “was born into the band” in 1947 in Jackson County, since his mother was a presiding officer. A retired radiologist at Tallahassee Memorial Hospital, Johnson has long resided in Tallahassee—but Cottondale remains his true home. He frequently returns for lodge and church events. Annually, on the second Sunday in September, Band #363 “marches in,” forming a procession from their lodge to the anniversary program site at Henshaw. Johnson leads the signature spiritual “Sunday Morning Band” upon entering the churchyard. In 1965, Johnson also formed the Jubilives, a traditional African American gospel quartet. A perennial presence in Wiregrass Florida and Alabama, the group performs complex harmonies with an emphasis on lead singing with the other vocalists singing backup. A superb singer, Johnson heads the quartet and is one of gospel’s greatest regional practitioners.

Ron DeSantis, Governor
Laurel M. Lee, Secretary of State

Under Florida law, e-mail addresses are public records. If you do not want your e-mail address released in response to a public records request, do not send electronic mail to this entity. Instead, contact this office by phone or in writing.

Copyright © 2021 State of Florida, Florida Department of State.

Joseph E. Johnston

Our editors will review what you’ve submitted and determine whether to revise the article.

Joseph E. Johnston, in full Joseph Eggleston Johnston, (born February 3, 1807, near Farmville, Virginia, U.S.—died March 21, 1891, Washington, D.C.), Confederate general who never suffered a direct defeat during the American Civil War (1861–65). His military effectiveness, though, was hindered by a long-standing feud with Jefferson Davis.

A graduate of the U.S. Military Academy, West Point, New York (1829), Johnston resigned his commission at the outbreak of the Civil War to offer his services to his native state of Virginia. Given the rank of brigadier general in the Confederate Army of the Shenandoah (May 1861), he was credited in July with the first important Southern victory at the First Battle of Bull Run (Manassas). He was promoted to general, but his dissatisfaction with his seniority was the start of his lengthy differences with Davis, president of the Confederacy. When the Peninsular Campaign began in April 1862, Johnston withdrew to defend the capital at Richmond. Although objecting to the strategy prescribed by Davis, he fought well against the Union forces. Severely wounded at the Battle of Fair Oaks (Seven Pines) in May, he was replaced by General Robert E. Lee.

A year later Johnston assumed control of Confederate forces in Mississippi threatened by the Federal advance on Vicksburg. He warned General John C. Pemberton to evacuate the city, but President Davis counterordered Pemberton to hold it at all costs. Lacking sufficient troops, Johnston could not relieve Pemberton, and Vicksburg fell on July 4, 1863. Bitterly criticized, he nonetheless took command of the Army of Tennessee in December as the combined armies of the North advanced toward Atlanta, Georgia. Subsequent events demonstrated the soundness of Johnston’s strategy of planned withdrawal to avoid a defeat by superior forces and the disintegration of the Confederate army. Nevertheless, Davis, dissatisfied with his failure to defeat the invaders, replaced him in July.

Restored to duty in February 1865, Johnston took command of his old army, now in North Carolina, and succeeded in delaying the advance of General William T. Sherman at Bentonville, in March. But lack of men and supplies forced Johnston to order continued withdrawal, and he surrendered to Sherman at Durham Station, North Carolina, on April 26.

After the war, Johnston engaged in business ventures, wrote his memoirs, served in the U.S. House of Representatives (1879–81), and was named U.S. commissioner of railroads in 1885.

This article was most recently revised and updated by Amy Tikkanen, Corrections Manager.

Joseph Johnson - History

Born on a farm near Waxahachie, Texas, on July 31, 1888, U.S. Rep. Jed Joseph Johnson was the son of Lafayette D. and Evalyn Carlin Johnson. That same year the family moved to a farm in Cotton County, Oklahoma. The future congressman was educated in the public schools of Oklahoma and graduated from the law department of the University of Oklahoma in 1915. He also did postgraduate work at l'Université de Clermont at Clermont-Ferrand, France. Admitted to the bar in 1918, Johnson opened a law office in Walters. Shortly thereafter he entered the army and saw action in France during World War I. Upon his return to the United States, he edited a newspaper in Cotton County.

In 1920 Johnson began his career in public service when he was elected as a Democrat to the Oklahoma Senate. As a member of the state legislature until 1927, he advocated many programs for veterans. While a state senator, he married Beatrice Luginbyhl in 1925. The Johnsons had four children, including a future Sixth District congressman, Jed Joseph Johnson, Jr. In 1926 Johnson successfully campaigned for Oklahoma's Sixth District seat in the U.S. House of Representatives. He held this seat for twenty years. While in Congress, the solon served on various committees, including Public Lands, Territories, Flood Control, Military Affairs, and Appropriations. He also chaired the House Democratic Steering Committee as well as the speakers' bureau of the Democratic National Congressional Committee.

A strong supporter of Franklin D. Roosevelt and the New Deal, Johnson promoted legislation for veterans, including sponsoring a bill, which established Civilian Conservation Corps camps for veterans. He also called for liberal old-age pensions, endorsed improvements in the farm tenancy program, fought successfully to retain Fort Sill in Oklahoma, labored to acquire the federal reformatory at El Reno, and favored vocational education programs in the public schools. The Oklahoma congressman also represented the United States at the annual peace conference of the Interparliamentary Union in 1927, 1929, and 1937.

In 1946 Johnson was unsuccessful in his quest for renomination. The next year Pres. Harry S. Truman appointed him as a judge to the U.S. Customs Court. Interestingly, Roosevelt had named the Oklahoman to this position in 1945, but he had declined. Johnson served as a judge until his death in New York City on May 8, 1963. He was interred at Rose Hill Cemetery in Chickasha.


Biographical Directory of the American Congress, 1774–1996 (Alexandria, Va.: CQ Staff Directories, 1997).

Harry Buckingham Papers, Museum of the Great Plains, Lawton, Oklahoma.

Harold Chase et al., comps., Biographical Dictionary of the Federal Judiciary (Detroit, Mich.: Gale Research Co., 1976).

"Former State Congressman Jed Johnson Dies at Age 74," Daily Oklahoman (Oklahoma City), 9 May 1963.

Jed Joseph Johnson Papers, Congressional Archives, Carl Albert Congressional Research and Studies Center, University of Oklahoma, Norman.

No part of this site may be construed as in the public domain.

Copyright to all articles and other content in the online and print versions of The Encyclopedia of Oklahoma History is held by the Oklahoma Historical Society (OHS). This includes individual articles (copyright to OHS by author assignment) and corporately (as a complete body of work), including web design, graphics, searching functions, and listing/browsing methods. Copyright to all of these materials is protected under United States and International law.

Users agree not to download, copy, modify, sell, lease, rent, reprint, or otherwise distribute these materials, or to link to these materials on another web site, without authorization of the Oklahoma Historical Society. Individual users must determine if their use of the Materials falls under United States copyright law's "Fair Use" guidelines and does not infringe on the proprietary rights of the Oklahoma Historical Society as the legal copyright holder of The Encyclopedia of Oklahoma History and part or in whole.

Photo credits: All photographs presented in the published and online versions of The Encyclopedia of Oklahoma History and Culture are the property of the Oklahoma Historical Society (unless otherwise stated).


The following (as per The Chicago Manual of Style, 17th edition) is the preferred citation for articles:
Carolyn G. Hanneman, &ldquoJohnson, Jed Joseph,&rdquo The Encyclopedia of Oklahoma History and Culture,

© Oklahoma Historical Society.

Oklahoma Historical Society | 800 Nazih Zuhdi Drive, Oklahoma City, OK 73105 | 405-521-2491
Site Index | Contact Us | Privacy | Press Room | Website Inquiries

In 1837 he resigned from the army and later became a civilian topographic engineer aboard a ship during the Second Seminole War. It was here where he received the first of many injuries by a bullet which scraped his scalp. After more combats as a civilian, Johnston rejoined the army and fought in the Mexican-American War.

He constantly requested Jefferson Davis to be promoted further up the ranks, but Davis refused. This led to a major fall out between the pair. However, Johnston was promoted up through the ranks and in 1860 was Quartermaster General of the U.S. Army.

Kirtland through the Eyes of the John and Elsa Johnson Family

Joseph Smith lived in Ohio from 1831 to 1838. Those seven years were full of progress and blessings for the newly established Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Dozens of missionaries shared the message of the restored gospel, and Church membership grew to include thousands of members. Faithful Saints consecrated their properties to care for the poor and to build up the Church. New revelations were received and published as the Doctrine and Covenants. Some revelations called for service in priesthood offices and quorums in the first stake of Zion, and men were called to fill those positions. Many other Saints gave their time and talents to build a temple, where Church members received glorious spiritual gifts.

These years were also full of challenges for the young Church: the first anti-Mormon book was published, and violence against Mormons in Ohio and Missouri shook the faith of many Saints. Then came an economic downturn that many thought a true prophet should have foreseen and avoided. At a time when many people were joining the Church, many others were choosing to separate themselves from Joseph Smith and his teachings.

Looking back on these seven years, it can be tempting to separate apostates and faithful Saints into opposing, even hostile categories. The story of the John and Elsa Johnson family provides a more complete picture of the way people responded to challenges to their faith, and it demonstrates how family members supported each other through those challenges.

Nineteen-year-old Lyman was the first of the Johnson family to listen to the gospel message and join the Church. He was baptized in February 1831. Lyman’s enthusiasm after his conversion prompted his parents to study the Book of Mormon. John and Elsa Johnson traveled the 30 miles (48 km) from their home in Hiram, Ohio, to Kirtland to visit with Joseph Smith in person. After discussion and a miraculous healing of Elsa’s arm, both parents believed and were baptized in March 1831. Eventually, as many as 8 of their 10 children became baptized members of the Church.1

John and Elsa Johnson’s 10 children as of September 1831
Name Age Residence and Family
Alice (Elsa) 31Married to Oliver Olney, mother of six children
Fanny 28Married to Jason Ryder, mother of four children
John Jr. 26Married to Eliza Ann Marcy, no children
Luke Samuel 23Unmarried, at home
Olmstead G. 21Unmarried, living outside of Hiram
Lyman Eugene 19Unmarried, at home
Emily Hannah 18Unmarried, at home
Marinda Nancy 16Unmarried, at home
Mary Beal 13At home
Justin Jacob 10At home

The Johnsons who joined the Church became generous supporters of the Prophet. John and Elsa opened their home in Hiram to the Smith family and Joseph’s scribes from September 1831 to September 1832. Their home became a place of revelation and prophetic leadership.

A House Divided:

Joseph and Emma Smith were living with the John Johnson family in Hiram, Ohio, when a mob of apostates and anti-Mormons dragged the Prophet from his bed and tarred and feathered him. In a desperate attempt to save the Prophet and Sidney Rigdon, Brother Johnson rushed out into the field where the mobbers were. When he knocked down one man with a club, part of the mob turned its fury on him. Running back to his house, he was mistaken for a mobster by Brother John Poorman, who struck him on the left shoulder, breaking his collar bone. Later, he was healed immediately when administered to by David Whitmer. (See History of the Church, 1:263–64.)

This incident was one of many that placed the Johnson family at the center of dramatic, historic events in the early days of the Church. At their home the prophet Joseph received the great vision of the three degrees of glory and the tragedy of perdition (D&C 76). Here he received about fifteen other revelations and held several important conferences of the Church. At the Johnson home ten witnesses, including Luke and Lyman Johnson and Orson Hyde, bore witness of the “Book of the Lord’s Commandments” and testified that the revelations and commandments contained therein “were given by inspiration of God, and are profitable for all men, and are verily true!” (History of the Church, 1:226ff D&C, p. iv). Today these revelations and commandments are in our Doctrine and Covenants. Yet, when we examine the lives of the Johnson family, they reflect both the glory and the tragedy of these early Church experiences.

Before a copy of the Book of Mormon came into their hands, the Johnsons seemed destined to live out their days uneventfully in the quiet little town of Hiram. John Johnson, born 11 April 1779, in Chesterfield, New Hampshire, was the son of prosperous farmers, Israel and Abrial Higgins Johnson. He married Mary Elsa Jacobs, daughter of Joseph Jacobs and Hannah Beal. The young couple made their home in Pomfret, a small town a few miles from the Prophet’s birthplace of Sharon, Vermont. There Elsa gave birth to seven of their nine children. By 1818 the family had moved to Hiram, Ohio, where they prospered, building a beautiful home on their large farm.

Upon hearing of the Book of Mormon some members of the family were so impressed that they travelled the thirty miles to Kirtland for further investigation. Lyman E. Johnson, the fourth son of John and Elsa, arrived in Kirtland in February 1831, and was baptized by Sidney Rigdon. In May the second son, Luke S., was baptized by Joseph Smith.

In that year John and Elsa also went to Kirtland to see the Prophet and to find out more about the new religion. During the visit a healing occurred which caused a great stir in the area. Elsa Johnson had been afflicted for many years with a rheumatic arm. She experienced so much pain and difficulty in movement that for two years she hadn’t been able to raise her hand to her head. As the Johnsons and others from the Hiram area visited with Joseph Smith in the Newel K. Whitney home, they discussed the gifts of the Spirit as held in the early Church. Someone asked whether God had given power to men today to heal people like Elsa Johnson. After the conversation had turned to another subject, the Prophet walked up to Elsa and said, “Woman, in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ I command thee to be whole,” and then he walked out of the room. Elsa was instantly healed, and the next day she did her washing “without difficulty or pain.” (See History of the Church, 1:215–16.) This experience was instrumental in the conversion of a number of people, including Father and Mother Johnson (as they were affectionately called by the Saints), and their children John, Jr., and Marinda.

Great joy came with their acceptance of the gospel, but there was also the sorrow of disobedience. By March 1832, John Johnson, Jr. had apostatized, and another brother, Olmstead, refused the gospel message. This refusal caused the Prophet to predict that his rejecting of the restoration would lead to his destruction. (See History of the Church, 1:260.)

In time, many people were converted in Hiram and it appeared that Hiram might become an important center of the Church. Thus, the Johnsons invited Joseph Smith and Sidney Rigdon to take up residence with them, hoping that the Prophet could continue his translation of the Bible in peace.

From this home in November 1831, Luke and Lyman Johnson were called to fulfill missions. This occupied much of their time for the next six years. On one of these first missions, Luke accompanied Sidney Rigdon to Pittsburg, Pennsylvania, where Luke baptized, among many other people, Sidney Rigdon’s mother. Lyman, serving with Orson Pratt in New England, baptized Amasa Lyman, later a member of the Quorum of the Twelve. Apparently Lyman Johnson invited the new convert to travel to Hiram to live and work with his family. There Amasa Lyman was kindly received, and after resting for a week he started working for the Johnsons at the rate of ten dollars a month. He continued his labors until the Prophet called him on a mission. As the Church grew, the Johnson home became a haven for many other new converts.

After Joseph was tarred and feathered, however, continual harassment by the mobs forced the Johnsons to leave Hiram and move to Kirtland. In Kirtland they were given opportunities to mature spiritually and to give leadership and financial help to the growing Church.

When the first high council of the Church was organized at Kirtland on 17 February 1834, John Johnson, his son Luke, and a future son-in-law, Orson Hyde, were selected to be members of it. After the Prophet had set them all apart, John Johnson gave his son Luke a father’s blessing, establishing a pattern that fathers still follow. It was a simple but meaningful blessing: “My Father in heaven, I ask Thee to bless this my son, according to the blessings of his forefathers that he may be strengthened in his ministry, according to his holy calling. Amen.” (History of the Church, 2:32)

In 1834 Joseph Smith organized Zion’s Camp, and Luke departed from Kirtland with a group. In a few days, Lyman and others joined them, and the two brothers marched, learned, and grew under the tutelage of the Prophet of God. They learned their lessons well and proved themselves worthy to be called, in February 1835, to be two of the original members of the Quorum of the Twelve. Orson Hyde, who later that year married Marinda Johnson, sister of Luke and Lyman, was also selected a member of the original Twelve. Lyman had the privilege of being the first apostle to be ordained and set apart as member of that quorum in this dispensation. (See History of the Church, 2:187–88.)

Three months later the Twelve Apostles left on missions, departing from John Johnson’s inn in Kirtland. As members of the Twelve, Luke, Lyman, and Orson spent much of their time on missions, bringing many into the Church. But the seed of apostasy was sprouting in Kirtland. The Lord had said that where one’s treasure is, there would his heart be also (Luke 12:34) sadly, many who had once given liberally of their means to build up the kingdom began to seek for personal wealth. Many who had once defended the Prophet now became his accusers. This spirit affected almost all of the Johnson family, including son-in-law Orson Hyde.

Both Luke and Lyman accused Joseph Smith of speaking disrespectfully of and to members of the Church. (See statements of Lyman E. Johnson, Orson Pratt, and Luke Johnson, 29 May 1837, Whitney Collection, Brigham Young University Special Collections Library, box 2, fd. 1.) On one occasion during the passing of the sacrament in the Kirtland Temple, Lyman stood and cursed the Prophet, who was on the stand. When the bread was passed to him “he reached out his hand for a piece of bread and flung it into his mouth like a mad dog.” His face turned black “with rage and with the power of the devil.” (Millennial Star, 57:340) Joseph Smith later pinpointed such faultfinding with the Church leadership as the cause of apostasy.

Affairs in Kirtland continued to worsen. Luke Johnson and other dissidents organized for the overthrow of the Church, claiming they were the “old standard,” and calling themselves the “Church of Christ.” Luke described those dark days: “Having partaken of the spirit of speculation, which at that time was possessed by many of the saints and Elders, my mind became darkened, and I was left to pursue my own course. I lost the spirit of God, and neglected my duty.” (“History of Luke Johnson by Himself,” Archives of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, p. 7)

Father John Johnson was also affected by this apostasy and was dropped from the high council and excommunicated. (See History of the Church, 2:510 and The Historical Record, Andrew Jenson, ed, and pub., vol. 5, Salt Lake City, 1889, p. 32.)

It is both sad and inspiring to follow the lives of Lyman and Luke Johnson and of Orson and Marinda Johnson Hyde and to see the effect that apostasy and, in turn, personal righteousness had on their lives.

Upon being ordained the first apostle in this dispensation, Lyman received a powerful blessing. He was told that his faith would be like Enoch’s and that he would “be called great among all the living and Satan shall tremble before him.” (History of the Church, 2:188) Yet in only three years his obedience and his faith had failed, and Satan, rather than trembling before him, had conquered him.

After apostatizing, Lyman remained friendly to his former associates, making occasional visits to Nauvoo. On one such visit he related his present feelings, as reported by Brigham Young:

“If I could believe ‘Mormonism’ as I did when I traveled with you and preached, if I possessed the world I would give it. I would give anything, I would suffer my right hand to be cut off, if I could believe it again. Then I was full of joy and gladness. My dreams were pleasant. When I awoke in the morning my spirit was cheerful. I was happy by day and by night, full of peace and joy and thanksgiving. But now it is darkness, pain, sorrow, misery in the extreme. I have never since seen a happy moment.” (Journal of Discourses, 19:41)

It is little wonder his death was tragic. According to Wilford Woodruff, “he did not go and hang himself [like Judas], but he did go and drown himself, and the river went over his body while his spirit was cast into the pit, where he ceased to have the power to curse either God or His Prophet in time or in eternity.” (Millennial Star, 57:340 see also Andrew Jenson, Latter-Day Saint Biographical Encyclopedia, Vol. 1, Salt Lake City: The Andrew Jenson History Co., 1901, p. 92.)

As Lyman’s brother Luke was ordained and set apart as a member of the Twelve, he was promised that if he were cast into prison he would be a comfort to the hearts of his comrades. (See History of the Church, 2:190.) In three years, however, he was an apostate. But his blessing still came about: he was a comfort to the hearts of his comrades in prison, but as a constable instead of as a fellow prisoner. Remaining friendly to the Church, he assisted the Prophet to legally escape from those who were pressing him with lawsuits. (See “History of Luke Johnson by Himself,” Church Archives, p. 6.)

Luke was also able to help Joseph Smith, Sr., to escape imprisonment on charges “instigated through malice.” Luke took Father Smith to court for trial, but since the court was not ready to convene, he took him into an adjoining room to wait. While in the room, Luke removed a nail which secured the window, and then left, locking the door behind him. Back in the courtroom, he started telling funny stories so laughter would cover Father Smith’s escape. When the prisoner was called by the court, Luke entered the room where Father Smith had been kept, replaced the nail in the window, and came out reporting the escape of the prisoner. Members of the court rushed in. Upon finding the window fastened, they declared it another Mormon miracle.

Luke met Eliza R. Snow the following day and asked her how his escaped prisoner was faring at the Snow house. He then commented, “Father Smith will bless me for it, all the days of his life.” Upon returning home, Eliza repeated Luke’s words to Patriarch Smith, who affirmed the truth of the statement. (See “History of Luke Johnson by Himself,” Church Archives, pp. 6–7, and Eliza R. Snow Smith, Biography and Family Record of Lorenzo Snow, Salt Lake City: Deseret News Co., 1884, pp. 22–24.)

But Luke did not die an apostate like his brother Lyman did. Before the Saints left Nauvoo, he rose and spoke to an assembled group, telling of his apostasy, but declaring that his heart was with the Saints and that now he wanted to “go with them into the wilderness, and continue with them to the end.” His brother-in-law, Orson Hyde, rebaptized him. (See Manuscript History of Brigham Young, 1846–47. Elden Jay Watson, ed. and pub., Salt Lake City, 1971, p. 72.) Luke then went back to Kirtland to pick tip his family.

Luke’s newly-restored faith was tried by fire as he started West with his family. His wife, Susan Poteet, died as they traveled to Council Bluffs. After burying her in St. Joseph, Missouri, Luke continued on with his six motherless children. The Church leaders seemed to feel concern that this trial might be too much for the newly rebaptized Luke however, it was recorded that he was “yet apparently feeling well and enjoying himself.” (Watson, p. 494)

On his arrival in Council Bluffs, Luke was comforted by a poem written for him by Eliza R. Snow, his neighbor for many years in Ohio, which in part read:

Mourn not o’er your long-beloved Susan,

Love her still—she’s gone above,

To fulfil a heavenly mission,

To perform a work of love.

(A History of Clover, Centennial Year, 1856–1956, rev. ed., Tooele, Utah: Transcript-Bulletin, 1960, p. 41)

At Council Bluffs, Luke married America M. Clark, by whom he had eight children. Selected as captain of ten men in the original pioneer company, he had to leave his family at Council Bluffs while he found a home for them in the valley of the Great Salt Lake. When his first trek was over, he returned to Council Bluffs to get his family, and together they reached Utah in 1853, settling in Rush Valley, near Tooele, Utah, in 1856.

He was appointed by Wilford Woodruff to be the first presiding elder over the little Utah settlement which later was called Clover, Utah. Luke also served as the first and only probate judge of Shambip [Rush] County, now a part of Tooele County, and he became a friend of the Indians. He was the first doctor in the area, and his wife, America, served as midwife. He served faithfully both his Church and community until his death at the home of his brother-in-law Orson Hyde in Salt Lake City in 1861.

Luke’s family has continued to serve the little town of Clover. His son, Orson A. Johnson, served as a counselor to three bishops. A grandson, Edwin H. Johnson, served as a ward clerk to two bishops, and three great-grandsons, Merlin M. Johnson, Joseph William Russell, Jr., and Orson Albert Johnson, have all served as bishops of the Clover Ward. Merlin M. Johnson also served as a county commissioner for Tooele County.

Records aren’t complete concerning the fate of all the members of the Johnson family, but much mention is made of Marinda Johnson and her husband, Orson Hyde. During the Kirtland days, Orson became temporarily sympathetic with the apostate faction, but within a very short time, he had repented and returned to the Church. He walked into a meeting where Heber C. Kimball was being set apart to open England to the preaching of the gospel and to preside over the mission. Overwhelmed by the words of the blessing, Orson asked for forgiveness and for permission to accompany Heber to England as a missionary. His repentance was accepted, and he too was set apart. (See History of the Church, 2:489–90.)

When Orson left for England, Marinda was left with a three-week-old baby. Many years later, it was said of her that she experienced “what so many ‘Mormon’ women have since felt, the cares and anxieties of the wife and mother when the husband is on a mission in a foreign land, and the sustaining influence of the Holy Spirit that enabled her to bear cheerfully—even happily—the many scenes of hardship and persecution that all the old members of the Church have endured.” (Journal History, 24 Mar. 1886, p. 3) This was one of many times Marinda was asked to wait for her husband as he traveled the globe in Church service.

Marinda was the only one of the Johnson family known to have moved to Nauvoo. There she experienced joy in living the gospel and sorrow as she bade farewell to her husband on his frequent missions for the Church. Undoubtedly one of her greatest trials came when Orson fulfilled a mission to Palestine, traveling approximately twenty thousand miles. In his dedicatory prayer on the Mount of Olives he particularly remembered his family at home:

“Though Thy servant is now far from his home … yet he remembers, O Lord, his … family, whom for Thy sake he has left … The hands that have fed, clothed, or shown favor unto the family of Thy servant in his absence, or that shall hereafter do so, let them not lose their reward, but let a special blessing rest upon them, and in Thy kingdom let them have an inheritance when Thou shalt come to be glorified in this society.” (History of the Church, 4:458)

This prayer was heard, and the answer given only nine days later in a revelation to the Prophet Joseph. The Lord instructed Joseph Smith that Marinda should have a better place to live, “in order that her life may be spared.” Joseph was further directed to importune the Ebenezer Robinson family to provide for her and her children until Orson returned from his mission. The Robinsons were promised that as they provided for Marinda ungrudgingly, she would be a blessing to them. Finally, Marinda was charged to follow the living prophet “in all things whatsoever he shall teach unto her,” and promised that this would prove to be a blessing to her. (History of the Church, 4:467.)

Marinda experienced the anguish of being driven from her home again as the Saints left Nauvoo. Her sorrow was offset somewhat by the joy of being one of the first to receive her endowment in the Nauvoo Temple. Another cause for great rejoicing before leaving Nauvoo was the return of her prodigal brother, Luke, to the Church.

Orson and Marinda Hyde lived at Council Bluffs until 1852, with Orson presiding over the Church there. During that time, Marinda received a letter from Sarah M. Kimball, a dear friend in Nauvoo:

“Nothing affords me more pleasure than to be assured that I am not forgotten by one whom I so dearly love as yourself. I was sorry to hear that yr [your] family have been sick dear Sister H. You must have had yr heart & hands full but you say, you had strength given according to yr day, inasmuch as you have not been overcome it is all right for your husband said when here that we must overcome all things in order to become pillars in the Temple of God. (Sarah M. Kimball to Marinda Hyde, dated 2 Jan. 1848, Church Archives.)

Much of Marinda is revealed in this letter: her suffering, her patience in affliction, and her faithfulness to the kingdom.

Like her brother Luke, Marinda Johnson Hyde made a lasting contribution in the establishment of Utah. After coming to Utah in 1852, she and her husband settled in the Seventeenth Ward. In 1868 she became the ward’s Relief Society president, serving in that position until her death. She also was a member of the board of directors of the Deseret Hospital in Salt Lake. She sought the rights of Mormon women at a time when much of the nation was attempting to destroy the rights of all Latter-day Saints and was selected as a member of a committee which drafted a resolution against some of the vicious antipolygamy legislation being considered in Congress. (See Millennial Star, vol. 32, p. 113.) She also was one of fourteen women who drafted a resolution thanking the acting governor of Utah, S. A. Mann, for signing the act that gave the women in Utah the right to vote, the second such act in the United States.

(See Journal History, 19 Feb. 1870, p. 4 also see Russell R. Rich, Ensign to the Nations, Provo, Utah: Brigham Young University Publications, 1972, pp. 372–73. Utah women were, the first to vote but the second to get the franchise.)

The year before her death, Marinda was honored on her seventieth birthday as being one of the oldest living members of the Church, having been baptized in 1831. She died 23 March 1886 in Salt Lake City. Her husband, Orson, had died previously on 28 November 1878.

Marinda’s death ended the earthly career of the original John Johnson family, a family who left a lasting impression on the Church and all those who knew them. Like Lehi’s family, their disobedience resulted in unhappiness and tragedy, and their faithfulness resulted in the blessings and happiness of the gospel.

Illustrated by Craig Poppleton

While with a party of fellow investigators, Elsa Johnson was “made whole” by the Prophet Joseph Smith, who healed her of painful rheumatism.

The John Johnson home in Kirtland, Ohio, where the family settled after mobs forced them from nearby Hiram.

The Johnsons’ daughter Marinda married Orson Hyde in 1835.

John Johnson gave his son Luke a father’s blessing after both of them had been called to the Church’s first high council.

The Johnson farm in Hiram, Ohio, from which Joseph Smith was dragged by a mob and tarred and feathered.

A message from Mr. Joseph M. Johnson, Jr.

We, the management and staff of the Joseph M. Johnson and Son Funeral Home would like to thank you for allowing our family to serve yours in the time of need. We want to ensure you that we are here to serve you in every capacity possible. Though these are unsettling times in neighborhoods, country and even our world, your loved one's life is still important and we plan to celebrate it the way in which is pleasing to your desires.

As always, we are making the safety and well being of you, your family and friends a priority. In order to do this, we need to make some temporary adjustments for future services, and interactions at this time. Again, these are ONLY temporary until the Commonwealth of Virginia lifts the ban on COVID-19 restrictions.

*Arrangement Conference: Limit the arrangement conference to 3-5 essential decision-makers limit ages: 15 and under and 70 and over are asked not to attend the arrangement conference.

*Visitations, Funeral Services and Gravesides: We have been asked to limit gatherings to 10 people or less and to explain to our families the reason why. We encourage our client families to have small, private visitations, funerals, gravesides, etc. with less than 10 people or chapel funerals with less than 10 people. Any inside services will last only one hour to help decrease long periods of time of exposure.

*Limited Transportation: We ask our client families to consider not utilizing our &lsquofamily car(s)&rsquo, due to the practice of social distancing. We will only be responsible for the transportation of the deceased.

*Limited Home Set-Ups: We ask our client families to consider not utilizing our home set-ups, i.e. chairs, door badges, and register stands.

Though we always try to keep our funeral home clean and sanitary, we are making additional efforts to keep our facility free of germs, by implementing extra cleaning measures.

Additional guidelines for funeral services will be discussed at the initial consultation. We appreciate your understanding throughout these difficult times.

Universal Precautions: Wiping down all door handles every hour, hand sanitizer at the entry and exit of facility, viewing room(s), Chapel, signs in lavatory reminding and instructing to wash hands, social distancing we may refrain from hugging, kissing and shaking hands, if you cough or sneeze use a tissue and dispose of the tissue and wash your hands immediately.

Rededication of Bishop Joseph Johnson Black Cultural Center marks start of Black History Month

NASHVILLE, Tenn. — The rededication of the renovated home of the Bishop
Joseph Johnson Black Cultural Center at Vanderbilt University will be
held on Tuesday, Feb. 1, kicking off a month of activity marking Black
History Month.

The center, led by director Frank Dobson, will sponsor lectures
including a Feb. 21 appearance by Angela Davis, a film festival and a
series of Living History Lunches featuring prominent members of the
Nashville black community as speakers. Two art exhibits will add to the
celebration: a temporary display by Khamisi Leonard and Shannen Hill,
and a permanent collection of African artifacts donated by Vanderbilt
Law School alumnus Lewis “Scotty” Greenwald of Spring, Texas.

All of the activities are free and open to the public.

“I hope this grand opening and packed schedule of events will signal a
new era for the Bishop Joseph Johnson Black Cultural Center and the
Vanderbilt campus,” Dobson said. “We&lsquore starting off thinking about
legacies, in the belief that the struggles of the past have laid the
foundation for a promising future.”

The Bishop Joseph Johnson Black Cultural Center at Vanderbilt
University was dedicated in 1984 in memory of the first African
American student admitted to Vanderbilt in 1953. The center aims to
build a sense of community among all students and to provide support
services for black students.

“All of our destinies are so intertwined that a student from China or
anywhere else will be touched by the African American experience on
campus,” Dobson said. “It&lsquos important to know as much as possible about
each other as we live together on this planet.”

The Bishop Joseph Johnson Black Cultural Center building in the heart
of the Vanderbilt campus has undergone a $2.5 million renovation and
expansion. A student lounge, three offices, library, computer lab and
seminar room have been added to the 4,100-square-foot facility. An
adjoining building adds another 4,000 square feet that can seat 100
people for classes, lectures, performances and other gatherings. A
connecting link between the two buildings will be home to a catering
kitchen, offices and art gallery.

The public is invited to view the space during the rededication from
5:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. on Tuesday, Feb. 1. In addition to remarks by
Vanderbilt dignitaries including Chancellor Gordon Gee, a plaque will
be unveiled in honor of Bishop Joseph Johnson.

On Wednesday, Feb. 2, the Vanderbilt BCC begins a weekly series of
community lunches featuring speakers who are African American leaders
in Nashville. The lunches will be held from noon to 2 p.m. at the
center. The lineup:

* Feb. 2, Tommie Morton-Young, the first black graduate of Peabody
College in 1955 who went on to a distinguished career as a teacher and
* Feb. 9, Dr. Charles Kimbrough, a civil rights leader and president of
the Nashville branch of the National Association for the Advancement of
Colored People for four terms, and also a decorated veteran of the
Korean War and retired veterinarian.
* Feb. 16, Russell Merriweather, business manager of Lane College from
1960 to 1989, and from 1950 to 1967 vice president of Citizens Bank,
one of the largest black-owned banks in the nation.
* Feb. 23, Mattie Shavers Johnson, author of three poetry books and a
teacher at the elementary through college levels, in addition to
publishing the book A Place Called Meharry, written by her late husband
Dr. Charles W. Johnson Sr.

The Vanderbilt BCC will host three prominent lectures during the Spring 2004 term.

* Monday, Feb. 7, at 7 p.m. in Room 103 of Wilson
Hall, Buck O&lsquoNeil will speak on the legacy of the Negro Baseball
Leagues. He is a former Negro Baseball Leagues player and coach, and in
1962 broke the coaching color barrier in the major leagues when he was
hired by the Chicago Cubs. He played with some of the greatest players
of the era, including Satchel Paige and Josh Gibson.
* Thursday, Feb. 10, at 7 p.m. in Room 103 of Wilson
Hall, John Leahr and Herb Heilbrun will speak. The two men attended
elementary school together in Cincinnati, and both served in the
military during World War II. Heilbrun, who is white, became a bomber
pilot in Europe. Because Leahr is black, he was not eligible to be a
bomber pilot and became one of the famed Tuskegee Airmen, a group of
black men who escorted bombers and never lost a plane. Leahr and
Heilbrun discovered their link after the war and speak about their
personal story and the legacy of the Tuskegee Airmen.
* Monday, Feb. 21, at 7 p.m. at the Vanderbilt Stadium Club, Angela
Davis will speak on prisoners&lsquo rights, racism and political repression.
The activist, feminist and scholar was a controversial figure in the
1960s and 1970s, when she was fired from her job at the University of
California in Los Angeles because of her ties to the Communist Party,
and later placed on the FBI&lsquos Ten Most Wanted List before being
arrested and charged with supplying the gun for a politically motivated
prison killing. After 16 months in prison, she was tried and
declared innocent. She is a professor in the History of Consciousness
Department at the University of California, Santa Cruz.

Each Thursday from Feb. 10 to March 3, the Vanderbilt BCC will sponsor
a film at the center by a black filmmaker from noon to 2 p.m.

* Feb. 10, Joe&lsquos Bed-Stuy Barbershop: We Cut Heads (1984) by Spike Lee, exploring the culture of the corner barbershop.
* Feb. 17, Bless Their Little Hearts (1984) by Billy Woodberry, about a black family&lsquos struggles during the Reagan administration.
* Feb. 24, A Powerful Thang (1991) by Zeinabu Irene Davis, a love story set in small-town Ohio.
* March 3, Illusions (1983) by Julie Dash, set in the Hollywood film industry of the 1940s and dealing with blacks who “pass” as white.

The Black History Month lineup will mark the beginning of a more active
and vital black cultural center now that renovations to its facility
are complete, Dobson said.

“Our goal is to be a center for all students on this campus, a place
that will enrich and diversify their college experience,” he said.

Watch the video: Robert Johnson- Crossroad